oday on Facebook there were loads of Poli recipe posted and then my friend Sayli sent me msg which was in Marathi and when asked her ,she said it was their New year called as Gudi Padwa and that’s when I thought why not make poli and enjoy the day , I copied this recipe from Mrs Vahchef and when Seema saw me making this and when I told why I was making , she was you need a reason to cook and got one and she knows me so well ….. The best thing I loved was no rolling of the poli , just little oil and Parchment paper , it was so simple as I hate rolling parathas
I would give full marks for the filling , it was super simple to make , oil free , made with jaggery and best in taste …. The filling enhanced the Taste of the poli , Rayyan, Dad and Rida loved the poli and it got over in minutes
- Grated Coconut -1 cup
- Jaggery(grated) – 1 cup
- Cardamom powder – 1/4 tsp
- All purpose flour – 1 cup
- Wheat flour -½ cup
- Semolina – 1 tbsp
- Salt – 2 pinch
- Ghee – 1 tsp(if required )
- Oil – as required for spreading on the parchment or plastic paper
- Heat the pan and add coconut, jaggery and cook it until the jaggery melts ( don’t over cook as jaggery crystallizes , I added 1 tbsp water so that jaggery melts fast )
- Add cardamom powder and make the balls and keep aside.
- In a bowl and add all purpose flour, wheat flour, semolina , salt, and mix thoroughly with water and make a soft dough and rest it for 5 mins.
- Divide the dough into small balls and make the small poori using hand , apply oil on the parchment or plastic sheet.
- Divide the coconut jaggery stuffing mixture into little bigger balls than the dough , place the filling on the poori and then close the edges and press it again on the parchment sheet into small parathas , ensure the filling doesn’t come out .
- Heat the griddle and cook the poli on both sides in medium flame and if required use ghee.
- Coconut poli is ready to serve.
I took 10 minutes to make the filling and 15 minutes to make the poli.