These recipes are treasures for me as they were made by my grand mother and now I am learning them from mom …..I should thank Haseeb ,who requested mom to make this snack and then mom told us she used to make loads of this especially before our exams ……I was surprised when she knead the dough with milk ,which was new to me and told that milk enhances the flavour of it…..the best part was frying them ,I was amazed to see the colour of it change even after they were removed from oil ….mom told its because of sugar in the dough ( every recipe is a learning experience for me )
I was happy that I learnt this snack and it was nice to see Haseeb enjoy it ,personally I don’t fancy them much for one reason that you can’t just stop with one especially when you are dieting …..
You can use cookie cutter and make different patterns for kids ….
- Wheat flour – 2 cup
- Sugar – 1/4 cup
- Milk – 1/2 cup ( for kneading the dough )
- Ghee or clarified butter – 3 tsp
- Oil for frying
- Mix flour, sugar and ghee in a bowl. Add enough milk to make it a pliable dough. Dough should not be too soft. keep aside for 30 minutes.
- Knead the dough again after some time and divide dough into equal parts. Roll out evenly ( 1/4 inch ) and with the help a knife, cut out thin strips and then diagonally to make little diamonds. ( Dont worry if everything gets together.)
- Heat oil in a deep bottom pan and when it is hot, add the diamond cuts and Once you drop in hot oil, the diamonds that got together will separate as it gets cooked. Cook in medium flame with constant turning to make sure it is evenly cooked.
- Remove when they are light brown as they get more colour while its cooling .Store in airtight container and enjoy it
You can knead the dough with water and omit milk
If packed properly , It stays fresh for more than 10 days ….
I took 25 minutes to make this snack….
Happy munching …..