This dish will always be special to me as I was making this dal ,I came to know that my Niece Refa won Hamdan award and as a part of her gift she has asked me to make few dishes that she loves ( her way of getting pampered by me )
Trying new types of curries and dals always excites me especially for dinner and when I saw this recipe posted , I was in two minds whether I should skip dill leaves as it has strong flavours and didn’t know whether my family would like it and later decided to add it as sometimes we have come out of regular taste and try new ingredients and this recipe helped me to try a new ingredient and for sure I will be trying more recipes with dill leaves with no inhibitions
Spinach and other two greens complimented each other very well with the dal plus garlic fried in ghee enhanced the flavour of this dal , glad that everyone like it and ate with no fuss best was that no one knew I had added dill leaves
- Moong dal ( green gram ) – 1/2 cup
- Channa dal ( Bengal gram ) – 1/4 cup
- Tur dal ( pigeon gram ) – 1/4 cup
- Chopped onion – 1
- Chopped tomato – 1
- Chopped garlic cloves – 2
- Chopped spinach – 1 cup
- Chopped fenugreek – 1/2 cup
- Dill leaves – 1/4 cup
- Chili powder – 1 tsp
- Coriander powder – 1 tsp
- Turmeric powder – 1/4 tsp
- Oil – 4 tbsp
- Salt to taste
- Ghee – 2 tbsp
- Mustard Seeds – 1/2 tsp
- Green chillies slit – 1
- Cumin seeds – 1/2 tsp
- ChoppedGarlic cloves – 2
- Clean, wash and soak dals for 30 mins. Boil and cook dals with 2 cups of water and a pinch of salt, turmeric powder along chopped garlic (dal should be soft but not mushy)
- Heat oil in a pan and fry onions till light brown . Add the chopped tomato , red chilli powder and coriander powder and fry till tomatoes are soft.
- Add the chopped spinach, dill, fenugreek leaves and salt. Mix and cook for five to ten minutes . Add the cooked dal mix and cook on low flame for another 5 to 7 mins.
- Prepare tadka by heating 2 tbsp ghee in a skillet, add mustard seeds. When it starts to crackle, add cumin seeds, slit green chillies, chopped garlic and fry for a minute. Pour this hot tadka over the dal at once and mix.
- Cook for another 2 minutes . Serve with naan or pulao .
I took 30 minutes to make this dal