Last one week I have not been packing lunch for myself as I want to enjoy few minutes of morning sleep which is more precious than anything but when are hungry ….then I regret not bringing a sandwich for myself and suddenly someone passes you masala pori to taste ( I would say it tasted heaven at that point ) thanx Indrani ma’am for sharing it with me and her recipe was so simple and I started telling her that we call this Masala pori in Chennai and don’t add raisins in it …..the next day she got me big packet of the puffed rice ( pori ) for me to try my version and I was waiting to return home to make it ……planning to make instant bhel with it
My kids were shocked to see me making it ….the question was mom ,Did you make it ???? They thought I made the puffed rice also at home ( kids can never change love their innocence ) ….We all started munching it happily and promised to make a big box full for my niece Ridha ,who even enjoyed the fried garlic in it ….
- Pori / Puffed rice – 4 to 5 cups
- Peanuts – 1/2 small cup
- Roasted Bengal gram – 1 small cup
- Raisins – 1/4 cup ( optional )
- Oil – 2 tbsp
- Mustard – 1/2 tsp
- Whole Red chilly – 2 or 3
- Curry leaves- 10 to 15
- Garlic pods – 3 to 4 cloves
- Turmeric pwd – 1/2 tsp
- Chilli powder – 1/4 tsp
- Salt – 1/4 tsp ( optional )
You can add roasted cashews or almonds if you want
- Heat 1 tsp oil in a pan.Roast peanuts till it’s light brown , keep aside and then roast Bengal gram and raisins by adding little more oil till it’s done .
- Heat remaining oil , Add mustard , crushed garlic fry till the garlic becomes brown then add whole red chilly and curry leaves sauté for a minute, add turmeric powder and chili powder , fry for a minute .Remove from fire.
- Add pori and roasted peanuts, Bengal gram ,raisins and toss it well , taste it and then add salt if required and serve
Note: you can store in a airtight container and can make instant bhel with this
I took 10 minutes to make this snack