As kids we used to love going to Marina Beach ….. the cool breeze and the waves hitting the shores, touching our feet and the minute we hear this sound Thenga Manga Pattani Sundal, we used to forget everything and sit around the guy and start munching it happily …..It had an awesome flavour and the tangy raw mangoes gave an extra punch to the Sundal and we would ask the Sundal person to add more raw mango in our share….these are memories that I will treasure for lifetime….. Now ,I feel bad that my kids miss all this and if I ever take them to eat food at the beach ,next day they are sick ,so I searched for a recipe to give them beach feeling at home …
More than my kids ,dad and mom loved it and everyone started their part of story as how they enjoyed walking all the way to beach and it was best time of their life ……..few recipes bring back beautiful memories and this one did it for me…..
- Mixed lentils – 1 cup (dried variety)( you can use one type like white peas )
- Raw Mango – 5 tbsp (grated or chopped )
- Coconut – 3 tbsp
- Coriander leaves – 2 tsp (chopped finely)
- Red Chilli powder – 1 tsp
- Salt – to taste
- Mustard Seeds – 1 tsp
- Hing or asafoetida – a generous pinch
- Oil – 1 tsp
- Soak lentils overnight or atleast for 8 hours and pressure cook it for 3 whistles.Set-aside. Heat oil in a pan add mustard seeds allow it to crackle, add asafoetida ,add cooked lentils immediately
- Add red chilli powder, required salt and give a stir.Add raw mango, coconut and mix well till its blended well. Then add chopped coriander leaves and switch it off.
- Best when served hot! Add raw mango again while serving and enjoy beach style sundal at home.
I took 15 minutes to make this Sundal