Vegetarians can omit chicken and follow the recipe ..for the coating you can dip in thin maida batter instead if egg whites and then roll in bread crumbs
This recipe is taken from my friend Hazeena blog Sauté fry n bake ….I did few changes to suit my family’s taste buds … She had posted the pic of chicken rolls and wrote that she makes them during Ramadan and they freeze well and can be fried when required … The best part of these rolls is that we can go easy on the filling , add any filling of our choice ….I made filling with vegetables and chicken but made few with minced meat and cheese filling and both tasted equally good ….one more thing that I liked about these rolls were that they were very filling and you can’t eat more than two ….
As I made the pan cake , kids wanted me to keep few separate for them to spread Nutella and eat … These rolls were liked by everyone , especially my sis Seema , who normally doesn’t prefer fried things told that the rolls tasted good even when they were cold.
These rolls get fried within few minutes and you can add any type of filling that your family likes and make in bulk and freeze them
Ingredients for Pan cake
- Maida – 1 cup
- Egg -1
- salt to taste
- Melted Butter – 1 tbsp
- Water or milk – 1 cup ( batter of pouring consistency )
- Ingredients for Filling
- Minced chicken – 1 cup
- Sliced onion – 1/2 cup
- Sliced cabbage – 1/2 cup
- Sliced carrot – 1/4 cup
- Sliced capsicum – 1/4 cup ( I didn’t use )
- ginger garlic paste – 1 tsp
- turmeric powder – 1/4 tea spoon
- chilli flakes – 1/2 tsp
- Chopped green chillies – 1
- oil – 4 teaspoon
- salt to taste
- Mozzarella cheese – 1/4 cup
Ingredients for Coating
- egg whites – 2 beaten with salt and pepper powder to taste
- Fresh bread crumbs – as required
- oil for deep fry
- Mix all ingredients together in a mixer and blend without lumps . Heat a small non stick pan to medium heat .
- Pour a spoon full of batter , spread it on the pan , cook on one side and remove .
- Heat 1 tbsp oil in a non stick pan , add minced chicken with Turmeric powder , ginger garlic paste and salt to taste . Cook to a dry consistency and keep aside .
- Heat remaining oil in a same sauce pan add onion , all the chopped vegetables , green chillies and sauté till vegetables are half cooked .
- Add cooked minced chicken and chilli flakes . Mix well on low flame for 5 minutes .The filling should be of dry consistency . Remove from fire and cool.Add the mozzarella cheese to the filling
Filling the pancake
- Place a heaped table spoon full of filling in the Center length wise over the uncooked side of pancake .Fold both sides to enclose the filling like an envelope and then roll it completely to seal the filling .
- Dip the roll in beaten egg white and then roll in breadcrumbs until fully coated . Heat oil to deep fry .Fry the rolls in till golden in colour and crisp . serve hot with tomato ketchup
I took 15 minutes to make pancake and 15 minutes to make the filling .