This recipe was happily shared by my colleague Nusrat daughter Farah , a college student who has passion to learn new dishes and she requested me that I should try this dish once ….I loved the name Cafreal , never heard of it …so the next step was to start doing my homework to learn more about this dish and was surprised that it’s very famous dish in Goa ….Now to the recipe , it was very easy , once the chicken was marinated , then it was only cooking the chicken and within 15 minutes it was ready
Rayyan kept coming inside the kitchen as he wanted to taste the Chicken first and was about eat the pieces that I had kept for clicking for photo .. I love these cute moments of life …
I googled and got some information about what is chicken cafreal
Cafreal is a spicy chicken preparation consumed widely in Goa. The preparation originated from the Portuguese colonies in the African continent.The generic preparation involves fresh coriander leaves, onion, garlic, ginger, cinnamon, pepper, chilli, mace, clove powder and lime juice. Chicken Cafreal is always made from whole chicken legs, flavoured with the spices and herbs mentioned and then shallow fried. Chicken Cafreal. is usually accompanied by potato wedges and lime wedges.
- Boneless Chicken – 500 gms
- Green Chillies – 4 no. ( you can add less )
- Coriander Leaves – 1/2 bunch
- Garlic Cloves – 5 cloves
- Ginger- 1 piece
- Poppy Seeds – 2 tsp ( I didn’t use it )
- Cumin Seeds – 1 tsp
- Cloves – 5 no.
- Black Peppercorns – 1 tsp
- Cinammon – 1 Stick
- Tuermeric Powder – 1/2 tsp
- Tamarind – a marble size ball
- Lemon Juice 15 ml
- Oil – 5 tbsp
- Salt To Taste
- To the chicken pieces add lemon juice , salt and marinate it for 30 minutes.
- In a blender add some ginger, garlic, green chillies, black pepper corns, cinnamon, cumin seeds, clove and fresh coriander. Add some poppy seeds along with little oil and water and blend into a fine paste. Remove it in a bowl, add tamarind paste and mix well.
- Add this paste to the marinated chicken pieces and marinate in this cafreal paste for 1 hour in a refrigerator.
- Add some oil to a hot grill pan and grill the chicken till golden brown on both sides ( it takes 8 to 10 minutes )
- Serve hot along with lemon slices .
I took 35 minutes to make this chicken …