I was going through my page and realized that I have not posted biryani for a long time so went to Mr.Google to search for some good recipes and got this one , name was interesting so next went to the ingredients and was little surprised to see cream used the gravy that made me decide that I will make it for lunch …Adding cream did give a creamy texture to the gravy and enhanced the taste of the biryani , one thing I should mention that if you have fried onions then within 30 minutes the base gravy will be ready….
Got awesome compliment from dad who can eat biryani any time of the day that the taste of this biryani was very nice and he enjoyed his meal and said that he wouldn’t mind eating it the next day ……what more can I ask , I feel contented when dad loves my dishes the most as his compliments are very genuine and never fake
- Chicken (12 pieces) – 1 kg
- Basmati rice -750 gm ( soak for 30 minutes )
- Brown onion – 1 cup plus 1/2 cup
- Whole mix spice – 1 tbsp ( black and green cardamon , cinnamon and cloves )
- Ginger garlic – 2 tbsp
- Red chili powder – 2 tsp
- Turmeric – 1/2 tsp
- Black cumin 1/2 tsp
- Yogurt – 1-1/2 cup
- All spice 1 tsp
- Cream – 1/2 cup
- Milk – 1/4 cup
- Saffron – 1/4 tsp mixed in 1 tbsp milk
- Oil – 3/4 cup
- Chopped tomatoes -3
- Coriander leaves – handful
- Mint leaves -handful
- Chopped green chilies – 3
- Kesari colour – 1/4 tsp mixed with 3 tbsp milk and little water
- Salt to taste
- Boil chicken with 1/2 cup water, 1/2 tsp ginger garlic paste and salt until tender, ( 5 to 7 minutes ) , retain the remaining stock and use it later
- Heat oil, add whole mix spice, brown onion, ginger garlic, red chili powder and salt and cook for 2 minutes.Now put boiled chicken and fry for another 5 minutes and then yogurt and fry it for few minutes
- Then add cream, saffron, tomato , green chilies , mint , coriander and milk, cook for 5 minutes and take it out ( don’t over cook the tomatoes )
Cooking the rice
- In biryani most important is cooking of rice.soak the rice for half an hour ,as you are cooking chicken.
- Keep a vessel with water to boil ,add salt little extra and add black cumin .you can add two cut lemon after removing juice as it doesn’t allow rice to stick to each other( chefs tip) .
- As water is boiling,then add rice , cook till its half done….important not to over cook rice ,it will take 7 mts for the rice to get half cooked as rice keeps cooking even after it is strained due to the heat trapped between the rice.
Layering the rice and gravy
- In this biryani , Add rice at the bottom , followed the gravy along with chicken pieces and brown onions and then repeat the layer one more time then sprinkle some more coriander and mint add colour mix in milk
- Cover with aluminum foil and do not mix it…cook in slow flame for 20mts ,you can see the steam coming out of the rice ( once steam comes means the rice is ready )
Serve hot with onion raita( chopped onion and green chillies in curd)
I took 35 minutes to make the Biryani gravy .