Few recipes bring back loads of memories and this one is very special to me …..
I had first tasted poha 12 years back ( I Still remember it ) ….beautiful memories, we were a group of friends with same age kids and used to religiously meet every day at 5pm near the Sharjah museum so that kids can play and once in a while we used invite each other to our house and that’s when I tasted poha at my friend Medha house and was actually surprised that poha can be cooked and in fact it tasted weird to me and then slowly developed taste for it and one of my friend Sonali taught me make poha along with many variations ( like adding fried potato or peas or mixed vegetables )….Now kids have grown up and most of my friends have shifted from Sharjah but last month we all got in touch and formed a group in what’s app ,it’s lovely to be in touch with everyone ……
I enjoy eating hot poha especially the green chillies in it ….I love to make it for Mom and dad , who too ate it for first time when I made for them years back and both are very flexible when it comes to tasting new dishes . my niece Ridha loves it and told me to try the variations that my friend taught me ….sis makes brown rice poha for health reasons ,which taste equally good …..
- Poha or flattened rice – 1 cup ( Use the thick one and not the silk poha )
- Finely chopped onions – 1
- Green chillies – 2 ( slit into two )
- Fresh coconut -2 tbsp
- Chopped coriander -2 tbsp
- Mustard -1/4 tsp
- Oil – 2 tbsp
- Sugar -1/2 tsp
- Curry leaves –few
- Turmeric powder – ¼ tsp
- Salt to taste
- Add the poha in a strainer and wash it with water and keep aside ( Poha should not have excess water ,otherwise it will get mushy )
- Heat oil in a non stick pan ,add mustard , curry leaves ,green chillies and turmeric powder sauté for few seconds then add onions and cook till its translucent .
- Add sugar, salt and poha ( it will swell up nicely ) .mix well and let it cook for 2 minutes in high flame .
- Remove from flame and add chopped coriander and grated coconut
Note : you can garnish the poha with Sev and serve
I took 20 minutes to make this dish