I saw this recipe on a blog called cafe garima , who shares good recipes and my next step was searching for big pasta called Rigatoni or Gigatoni as these have enough space for it to be stuffed with cheese and spinach filling and to my luck these big pasta are not easily available in normal shops ….I patiently started searching for the pasta and at one time decided to make this dish without stuffing the pasta but layering it with sauce and was so happy the day I got these pasta and surprised my kids and they were not able to identify spinach in the filling
This dish was throughly enjoyed by all and kids loved the idea of stuffing pasta which was new to them ….This recipe is for sure a party pleaser and for sure will be liked by all
I got some information about this special pasta from Google
Rigatoni are a form of tube-shaped pasta of varying lengths and diameters. They are larger than penne and ziti, and sometimes slightly curved, though nowhere near as curved as elbow macaroni.
- Rigatoni,boiled al dante – 500 gms ( don’t over cook the pasta as they will tear while stuffing )
- Mozarella/chedder cheese- 1 cup
Mix these for stuffing the pasta
- Spinach,blanched and chopped- 2 cupsRicotta/Cottage cheese(Paneer),crumbled-1 cup ( or you can use 1 cup boiled chicken along with 1/2 cup cream ) chopped Garlic – 2 tsp
- Olive oil – 1 tsp
- Chili flakes – 1/2 tsp Salt and pepper to taste
- Red Pasta Sauce – 3 cups ( I used store one ) White sauce- 2-3 cups
Ingredients for white sauce
- APF/Maida- 1 TbspButter- 1 TbspMilk- One cup (May add more to get a thinner sauce)Salt- ½ TspBlack pepper- ½ tspCream or cheddar cheese – 1/4 cup ( optional )
- Heat the butter in a saucepan. Keeping the heat on medium, add the flour and roast till it changes colour slightly.
- Add the milk gradually, stirring non-stop with the balloon whisk. Stir well and cook another couple of minutes remove from flame and add salt , pepper and cream or cheese . white sauce is ready
- In a pan add oil , add garlic then add blanched and chopped spinach , saute for a minute , remove from flame the add ricotta cheese , salt and chili flakes .
- Stuff the boiled pasta with this mixture of spinach and ricotta cheese filling and keep aside
- Layer a baking dish alternating layers of stuffed pasta with the red and white sauces. Use the sauces generously.Top with white sauce, sprinkle the cheese ( Cheddar or mozzarella) and bake for about 15 to 20 minutes at 180C
- Serve hot
I took 30 minutes to make this dish