My mom makes the traditional jamuns where she makes mawa at home and it takes minimum Of 1 hour just to make the mawa then the dough , and I wanted to short cut method so started searching for recipes with milk powder but got many with eggs but I wanted to try without egg and again thanks to google , got a good recipe and changed it to suit our taste buds and decided to fry one jamun and taste it before proceeding with the rest
I was very happy with the result and to my surprise everyone liked it and refused to believe that I made with milk powder and that I made mawa within 5 minutes
- Milk Powder – 1 cup (135 grams)
- Milk – 1/2 cup
- Unsalted butter – 1/4 cup (55 grams)
- Maida (refined flour) – 1/4 cup to 1/2 cup ( you start with 1/4 cup then keep adding till you get the soft dough )
- Baking powder – 1/4 tsp
- Oil – for frying
For Sugar Syrup
- Sugar – 400 grams (2 cups)
- Water – 1 cup
- Cardamom – 2 or 3
- To prepare the mawa in a pan add butter and melt add milk and mix well in low flame then add milk powder and stir constantly until all ingredients are mixed well. Keep stirring the mixture and cook until it gets thick and smooth in texture (like mawa).
- Add the cooled mawa in the plate , add baking powder and maida , knead it for 5 minutes to get a smooth dough , if the dough not smooth , you can add 1 tbsp of milk to the dough
- Heat oil in the deep bottom pan and make one round ball of the dough and fry it to check if it dough splits and if yes then add 1 tbsp of maida and knead it again , if it’s hard then add 1 tbsp milk to the dough
- Prepare the jamuns either round or oval in shape and deep fry them in medium hot oil and remove in paper towel and add in the prepared sugar syrup
- Add sugar and water in a kadai and cook until sugar dissolves completely and add cardamon and orange colour and boil till the syrup is gooey in texture ( 1 string consistency) and not watery in consistency
Make sure while frying gulab jamun, oil is medium hot. Don’t touch them with ladle, instead pour oil over them with help of ladle.
Sugar syrup should be apt for gulab jamun else gulab jamun will not get the correct sweetness.
I took 20 minutes to make the mawa and the dough